Nerve injuries in the hand and arm can be frightening. They are often most serious as a result of trauma but most commonly are associated with nerve compression over time.
Nerves are the electrical wiring in the body, they convey messages to and from the brain to the tips of our fingers and toes with many stops in between. They let us know about temperature, pressure, circulation, movement, tissue damage and potential for damage.
- Pins and needles or numbness in the hand or fingers
- Weakness in the hands, including grip strength
- Pain in the hand, fingers or forearm
- Reduce dexterity, increased clumsiness
- Reduced circulation and poor tolerance to cold/heat
- Waking at night due to pain/tingling/discomfort
- Hand and wrist fracture
- Direct impact or injury of the nerve in the hand (e.g. cut)
- Past history of hand and wrist injuries
- Injuries in the other parts of the arm e.g. elbow and shoulder
- Injuries in the neck (cervical spine)
- Sustained compression eg sleeping with elbows or wrists flexed
- Falling asleep with one arm over the back of a chair (saturday night palsy)
- Repeated weight bearing on wrists eg with typing or cycling
Subjective assessment: We will ask you about your hand and wrist injury, how and when it is limiting you, your daily activities and preferred sports, your general health and other potential factors that may contribute to your concerns. We will also ask you what activities you enjoy and what your goal is.
Objective assessment: We will look at your hand and palpate around the area. We will look at your hand and wrist movement and your grip strength. We will look at the rest of your body including your elbow, shoulder, neck and core to see if they are contributing to your condition. We may perform special tests to pinpoint where your limitations may be coming from.
- Education regarding your symptoms and how to manage/reduce them
- Neural mobilisation
- Muscle and/or other soft tissue release
- Activity modification
- Custom made thermoplastic or neoprene splint, casting if needed
- Dry needling
- Home exercise program including stretching, movement and strengthening exercises
From the moment we meet you, we are planning an individualised and holistic approach to help you reach your goal and be your best!
Rehabilitate, Educate, Innovate.
Providing excellence in physiotherapy from assessment to diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation