Thoracic And Rib Pain or Dysfunction
Thoracic and rib pain is commonly seen with prolonged sitting or tasks that involve leaning forward in our daily activities. The pain can be confusing at times as it may appear very sharp, especially when taking deep breaths or twisting your upper body or it may be a dull ache.
- Pain / stiffness in the upper or mid back with/without neck, back or shoulder movement
- Pain in the chest with the absence of a heart or lung problem
- Pain or difficulty breathing deeply
- Catching pain with movement
- Dull ache in the spine after prolonged sitting
- Stiffness in the thoracic spine and rib joints
- Muscle spasm in the area
- Prolonged poor postures
- Inflammation of the costovertebral joints
Subjective assessment: We will ask you questions so that we understand your pain and how it is affecting you. We will ask about your medical background and previous injuries so that we understand your body. We will ask you about your daily activities, and what you want to achieve.
Objective assessment: We will start by looking at the whole body alignment. We will assess how your spine and ribs move. We will assess the individual joints as well as the muscles and connective tissues surrounding them.
- Education on your condition and breathing patterns
- Manual techniques to mobilise the spine and ribs
- Muscle releases around the spine, neck or shoulder
- Dry needling
- Movement education to help you understand how your back moves
- Home exercise program which may include breathing, stretching and strengthening
From the moment we meet you, we are planning an individualised and holistic approach to help you reach your goal and be your best!
Rehabilitate, Educate, Innovate.
Providing excellence in physiotherapy from assessment to diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation