Arthritis in the hand and wrist is common especially as we age. Just like other parts of the body, there are different types of arthritis in the hand too. The most common are Osteoarthritis (OA) and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). Arthritis in the hand and wrist may cause a little or a lot of problems with our day to day activities. A hand therapist can help you to manage your arthritis and improve your hand and wrist function.
- Pain at the base of the thumb
- Pain that is worse in the morning or when cold
- Hot and swollen joints
- Difficulty making a full fist
- Long term repetitive use of the hand and/or fingers
- Autoimmune conditions
- Past injuries
Objective assessment: We will look at your hand and palpate around the area. We will look at how your hand and wrist move and their interaction with your elbow and shoulder. We may perform special tests to pinpoint where your limitations originate.
- Education on the condition
- Muscle and/or other soft tissue release
- Joint moblisation
- Activity modification
- Custom made thermoplastic or neoprene splint or brace
- Dry needling
- Home exercise program including stretching, movement and strengthening exercises
From the moment we meet you, we are planning an individualised and holistic approach to help you reach your goal and be your best!
Rehabilitate, Educate, Innovate.
Providing excellence in physiotherapy from assessment to diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation